Vegetarian Cabbage Kimchi
Preparation: 20 mins, plus standing times 24 hrs
Ingredients (makes 300g):
- 300g Chinese cabbage
- 1 litre water
- 50g salt
- 25g chilli powder
- 25g carrot shreds
- 25g radish shreds
- 25g ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Mix the marinade ingredients well in a bowl. Set aside.
- Make a deep cut across the base of the head of Chinese cabbage and split it in two, if it is a whole. Place the cabbage in a big bowl, cover with 1 litre of water and adding 50g salt to it. Leave it to stand for 4 hours. Remove and rinse the cabbage and squeeze dry.
- Place the cabbage on a large plate and coat and spread the marinade on each layer of leaves. Ensuring that the marinade mixture get evenly between the leaves and no leaf is left uncovered.
- Roll the cabbage up and use the outer leaf of the cabbage to wrap tightly around the other leaves to help the seasoning permeate throughout the whole.
- Place the cabbage in an airtight container and leave it at room temperature for few hours and place it in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites