Green Ways to Save Money
Sometimes it seems like being Green can cost more when it actually saves your money, for example, CFL energy-efficient light bulbs may cost a few dollars more, but they actually save you money on your energy bills and last 10 times longer than incandescent light bulbs. Here are some other quick ways you can save money:
- Turn down your thermostat a few degrees and if you can, turn off your hot water heater either while you sleep or at work. Also make sure to take shorter showers and wash your clothes in cold water.
- Turn off lights when you don’t need them and unplug anything you aren’t using: just because an appliance isn’t on doesn’t mean it’s not using energy.
- Choose sustainable items that are meant to last- meaning, tupperware instead of Ziploc bags and reusable water bottles instead of the disposable ones (watch the Story of Bottled Water).
- Rethink what you buy- Decide if it’s really something you need and make sure that you aren’t just paying for the wasteful packaging. Also check if it’s something you can buy secondhand or possibly rent.
- Walk, bike, carpool or take public transit to work when you can! You’ll save gas money and energy that could have been wasted ruining your day in traffic.
- Grow your own vegetables if you can! You’ll save money and eat healthier. You can also start your own compost to use for your garden or possibly sell in the spring/summer.
What are some green ways you save money? Share your ideas in the comments! You can also check out eco-friendly products in our Green marketplace!