Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 can (14-oz/415-ml) organic pumpkin pie mix (I use Farmer’s Market Organic brand)
- 2 tbsp unrefined sugar
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1/8 tsp (rounded) sea salt
- 1 prepared chocolate cookie-crust pie crust (see note)
- 2 tbsp non-dairy chocolate chips, optional (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220ºC).
- Fit a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan on medium-low heat and filled with several inches of water (or use a double-boiler).
- Add 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips to bowl and stir occasionally as water simmers (not boils), letting chocolate melt.
- While chocolate is melting, in a food processor, add pumpkin pie mix (scraping out everything from can), sugar, arrowroot powder, and salt. Purée until very smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Once chocolate is melted, add to food processor and purée with pumpkin mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Pour mixture into pie crust (scraping out all filling) and tip pie back and forth gently to evenly distribute filling. Sprinkle on 2 tbsp chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC) and bake for another 35 minutes, until pie is set (the center may be soft, but it will set further as it cools).
- Carefully remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before slicing, refrigerating if desired.
Note: You can also use a graham cracker crust if you prefer, or a traditional pastry pie crust.
Source: Vive Le Vegan
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites